Monday, April 09, 2007

Wild World of the Moore's Backyard




Yes, ladies and gentlemen...It finally happened...Peter did it...he mercilessly killed.....the snake!!!!

You might not know but if there's one thing that Peter just can't stand (come to think of it....there are many...hmm...well, that's for later posting *^^*), it is the snake!!! Apparently he had a traumatic experience when he was a little boy or something ("near death experience" so he calls it). But anyway, it was truly disgusting! We were having dinner peacefully enjoying our irises in our side yard and then I noticed this black long~~ thingy crawling slowly on top of newly and beautifully mulched walkaway! I said, "that's a snake" and Peter dropped the dumbling he was about to put in his mouth. Poor thing...needless to say, that was the end of Peter's dinner.

My brave husband jumped up and down few times and only few times and finally went out with a shovel in his hand. Of course, I was videotaping the whole thing in the mean time from the inside of house. Peter gestured "I love you" before he attacked the snake and yes, there was lots of pre-striking drama performed by him. And there he went... And, no the snake didn't look happy at all. Disgusting in fact... When Peter was about done, I shouted, "it's still moving!" meaning "you need to hit it some more!" And, it was easy to say for me. :-) And, there he went again. Peter came inside all disgusted and I looked outside...the snake was still moving. I looked at Peter and there he went again. I'm not sure if he signed on the way out...if he did, I didn't hear it. :-) So anyway, the creature was dead and I told Peter, "How ironic and what a timing! Just in time for Easter, you crushed his head!" Well...it was funny then. Yes, my hubby was very brave and he told Shawn all about it!

Well, ok, so I put the picture of squirrel for the sake of it but I want to tell you that this is not just a squirrel you see every day. We call him "crazy squirrel". He goes back and forth and very fast too on top of our fence numerous times a day. I'm a bit concerned about him and I really think he needs to see psychologist about it soon....

And then, there was this raccoon... Well, Peter thought one day that it was a cat that he saw under our iris bush since we get some cats in our back yard from time to time that sleeps by our fountain. I think Peter was watering that time and I think his life got shorten by 30 years like he says... But we found out that it was indeed a raccoon that he saw. There we were playing settlers with Nate and Michelle after Easter Egg Hunting in our family room (and yes, the female team won by the way!). I saw a cat looking thingy passing by. I said, "that's a raccoon" Everybody stood up looking out and I could so cheat on the game, but being a good Christian I am...I didn't! Well, anyway, the raccoon was having the time of his life and jumped into our fountain and took a relaxing bath. I think he drank the water as well. Needless to say, our fountain water was green and dirty and I was concerned for him....well, a little bit. :-) He took a nap under the iris bush and then he was gone.

Well, that afternoon, Peter and I worked on our yard a little bit and I said..."hmm....there's another snake" Yes, the cousin of the snake that Peter killed came by and this time, he was under the tree on our back yard where it's hard to reach. Peter was determined it was a harmless one (a.k.a he didn't want to kill it again) and after some research, he found out that it was indeed a "harmless" black racer that is not aggressive and feeds on insects, eggs, mice, frogs and lizards... And then, we saw and heard raccoon nearby... That was it. We came inside and I locked the door.

So yes, I don't know how I feel about going out to our back yard right now... It kinda ruined it for me and for now... If you don't want to pay to get into the Zoo, you are more than welcome to come by at our house any time!

6 comments:

Katie said...

This is so funny- I can't believe all these animals in your yard!! The raccoon was my favorite!

Dana said...

I am NEVER coming to your house, much less your back yard again!!!! Snakes are my number one fear, just barely ahead of my number two fear, pulic speaking, and my number three fear, death.

That is right!! you heard me, I, Dana, am more afraid of harmless black racer snakes, than I am my own death.

Therapists love people like me.....I keep them in business, and pay for their kids college tuition. As long as there are fruitcakes like me in the world, the average therapist need not worry about job security.

And there are plenty of "fruitcakes" in this grand world we live in......just ask Katie, for example, how she feels about roaches......

Peter said...

Thank you Dana for your appropriate response and feelings toward those slithering demons that had the audacity to take up residence at our humble abode. I must say that my wife might have over exaggerated my bravery. There were many pre-killing jitters and antics sutable to one of my dramatic tendancies. However since this awful and might I add, crippling event, I have encoutered no less than 2 more snakes! Yes it seems they are having a family reunion chez Moore. I am most put out by this! I know Shawn feels my pain!!!

Dana said...

Not that you asked my opinion.....but since when do I wait till someone asks......

I think you should move!!! Might I bring to light, the fact that there are several suitable houses for sale on Riverbend. And we don't have snakes, just bears. Well, I might have stretched the truth a tad, what i'm trying to say is.... we have less snakes than that "reptilian park" that you call "home"....we just a have a few coral snakes and the occasional water moccasin. Which is why we got "Mr. Darcy" and "Mrs. Elizabeth". They are excellent snake hunters.....if you want, you can rent our cats, for just $29.99 a month......i'll give you the "friend discount".

Peter said...

Dana: Well how do you feel about your post in light of the recent discovery of the snake-under-garage-door incident? Obviously the price per month for your cats' services should go down since they have "dropped the ball." How bout a flat rate of $5 with free service when we're out of town?

Dana said...

I'd like to "plead the 5th" please. I have no witty comeback or cutting remark, just pure shame in regards to those pathetic felines in my yard.

What do they think, that they're Pets or something?

Ridiculous. =)