Wednesday, October 10, 2007

When it rains, it pours!


Our poor Bella has been having stressful two weeks... Maybe that is why she looks pouty on her picture...
It all started last Tuesday when we were doing her sonogram at the Fetal Diagnostic Center. Everything looked OK and Bella was 2lb 11oz, which is right in the middle on the growth chart. We were so proud of her although she didn't really show her face that day. However, there were some concerns about the cysts that we found about 9 weeks ago and the doctor ordered a non-stress test for Bella that Friday...
Well, first of all, the machine that they use to check Bella's heart beat and its changes didn't seem that sophisticated to begin with, which Peter pretty much laughed about the whole time. Plus, Bella was not cooperating (what else can you expect from the Moore girl!) so they "buzzed" her few times so that she'll wake up and move around. I felt bad about her being "buzzed" so I tried to poke her few times as well. Poor thing.... Well, at the end, we didn't get a good outcome of non-stress test (they surely need to change that name) so we ended up doing another sonogram, which she showed her pouty face above to tell the world that she is NOT happy about all the things we did to her...
Well, then they ordered us to come in two more times this week for additional non-stress test. In the mean time, I had to go through 3 hour glucose tolerance test because mommy didn't pass her first one. Fasting since the night before and not eating until 12pm next day AND without water....it's good thing I didn't kill anybody that day. I had bruises from needles poking my arms four times but everything else went OK.
Unfortunately, Peter couldn't make it to the doctor's office on Tuesday for another non-stress test so it was just Bella and myself. Of course, she didn't move much and she was buzzed and poked as usual. During sonogram, the doctor and technician started talking all those scary medical terms and even taped the sonogram for their "study." So Bella and I had sort of depressing afternoon. In the mean time, I tried to get an appointment for second opinion from the specialist up in Jacksonville but of course, nothing is easy. I probably called 6 different people including the doctor's office and insurance company to figure it out and at the end, my phone got disconnected in the middle of conversation. It's never a good thing since I was on hold for more than 20 minutes for that call!
So around 3pm, I decided to make some chili for dinner for Peter and warm some Korean food for myself since I hadn't eaten since little bowl of cereal that morning. Of course, I needed something from the top shelf in my pantry so what do you do? You get on the stool to grab it! Everything makes sense except I'm not as well balanced as before I guess and fell on my back and tail bone. I don't want to relive the moment, but I must say it was pretty painful and I screamed for good 30 seconds before I could see things. I was shocked and scared for Bella for all of sudden my belly got so hard and Bella didn't move (she's been dancing like crazy while I was cooking a minute ago). I finally got up to grab my phone and called Peter. After that, who knows what happen... I cried and cried and called my OB office and they instructed me to drink OJ and wait for Bella's kick. While all this was going on, a lady from my OB office called (not knowing what's going on) and she gave me the dreadful news saying that I have gestational diabetes. At this point, I'm just sobbing and my whole world is falling apart! (OK, now that I look back, it;s not that bad, but it seriously was back then!)
Peter and Stephanie arrived soon (I'm still amazed how fast Stephanie got to our house with all three kids...super mom...) and thankfully after 40 minutes or so, Bella started to kick gently. I was never so happy to feel her kick, happier than the very first kick she gave me!!!
Well, I'm suffering from my fall and my tail bone is killing me.... As if I didn't have enough trouble falling asleep before, now I added back and tail bone pain to that, so no hope for a good night sleep for a while. But it's all OK because Bella is OK and she's been playing and dancing inside as usual. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning anyway, so it would be great to check her and see if she's OK.
So, yes, poor Bella. She's been having rough past two weeks. And I learned my lesson and there shall be no stool for me from now on. I hope the rest of 9 1/2 weeks will be a smooth ride for her...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you and Bella are having a stressful month. I am sure everything will be fine!!!! BTW, I got your shower invitation yesterday and the letter to Bella thing is so cool. I need to brainstorm with Michael to see what kind of embarassing story we can tell Bella about you. LOL! Take care, okay?!

Dana said...

Aww....God bless you Abi. I didn't realize.....

I knew some of that happened, but not the full story.

I think we should schedule a "prayer date" and come pray for Bella, and for you and Peter.

=)

Stephanie said...

We got there fast because the kids knew we were going to see Mrs. Moore. "Of course I'll get in the car, mommy!" Nothing like a little cooperation :-)